Wednesday, August 24, 2011

2009 Nutshell



I am Lame. That’s the only excuse I have for falling so behind on this blog. I really want to keep it up so our kids can read it one day. I’ve already printed what I've written and made it into a book, so I’d like to continue to do that.

So here’s the plan for now… I’m going to give you 2009 in a nutshell.


In the Spring of 2009 we were able to go on a 26 mile back packing trip to the peak of San Gorgonio. We went with Justin, Keith, Sandy, and a few other friends.


It was exhausting but the view was totally worth it. It’s nice to be out in nature where you can’t hear any cars, use your cell phone, or focus on daily stresses.





The summer of 2009 had its ups and downs. Scott had to say goodbye to his Grandpa Winn in July. Scott always spoke so highly of him, and I’m so glad I was able to meet him before he passed. The service was beautiful, and all of his kids, grandkids, and great grandkids came out for it. I remember looking out in the congregation thinking what a wonderful legacy he was leaving behind.





In late July we went to Utah once again for a camping trip to Zion. We stayed in Carla’s trailer with her and her family, and Autumn and Charlie and their kids came too!



My favorite hike was “The Narrows”. It was partly on land and partly on water. It was so beautiful!
The farther you hiked, the closer the canyons got to each other. All the sudden I would look up and see waterfalls coming through the rock walls.
Scott and Charlie hiked “Angels Landing”. You couldn’t pay me a million dollars to go up that high.
At one point all they had was a chain to hold on to for balance with nothing on either side of them.
Scott told me he wouldn’t to anything crazy... and then he does this once he gets to the top… those guys are Nuts!

Times were a bit hard in 2009 because I couldn’t find a job when I finished student teaching. Scott was selling his company, so we had a few months of eating Top Ramen, and staying in for date nights. We prayed our little hearts out and within a few months Scott got hired to work for HUB, and I got my first teaching job at Public Safety Academy! It's a Charter school that focuses on careers in police and fire safety. It was run as a para military school, which made class room management a bit easier.

I was blessed to teach 7th grade Math and Life Science, and 9th grade Biology. Those freshmen were quite a challenge, and I had a lot of learning and growing to do as a teacher, but I survived my first year and I truly cared for each of my students (well most of them). I had fun coming up with “hands on” experiments and labs for them. It’s the coolest thing in the world to hear a student repeat the words that you’ve taught them. I got to see my work pay off as I saw the students’ growth in learning from the beginning to the end of the school year. I love my job!





Scott surprised me for our 1 year anniversary with a cruise to Ensenada. Well, he tried to surprise me anyways…I saw the purchase on our bank statement a few weeks before. Either way I had so much fun! We got a suite that was so nice. We had our own balcony and everything! Every morning we would order room service for breakfast and eat it on our balcony in our robes. The food they had for dinner was amazing! We had a 3 course gourmet meal every night. It was so nice to relax, read, and play games all weekend. We did a little tour of Ensenadaand saw “La Boufadora” which is one of only 3 blow holes in the world.






For Christmas in 2009 Scott got me tickets to the Beatles Love show in Vegas. We left 2 days after Christmas and we had such a blast. We stayed at the Monte Carlo, and basically did everything a tourist does on the strip. We saw all the free shows, and ate at buffets. The Beatles Love show left me speechless. I’ve never seen anything like it. It was an intriquite circus act that told a story about finding love, all set to the best music in the world…The Beatles. At one point the entire floor disappears and so do all of the acrobats. It was the best show I’ve ever seen. It was a great end to a great year J











No comments:

Post a Comment